Sunday, November 5, 2006

Assumptions and Saviors

Today's Sunday Sermonette will be especially brief. We've discussed the nature of reality and whether or not we can rely on certain assumptions and if our "reality" is all there is or if there is some other reality outside of what were experience. Personally, and this is probably a religious assumption, I think that there has to be a reality outside of what we experience. It really seems pretty obvious even when you try to say that "it's all in your head" and so on because your head has to be somewhere too. ;-) There is Something Out There. I have faith in that assumption.

But in real, everyday life some assumptions are pretty dangerous. There's an old saying that goes something like, "Never assume anything because it makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'. Sometimes that's true. I try not to make many assumptions about other people because I don't like being made an ass. And in real, everyday life we need more 'evidence' to back up whatever assumptions might be considered necessary for progress. I can (hopefully) assume that my children will still love me even when I have to fuss at them. But with many people it is difficult to maintain assumptions if they don't engage in any kind of communication one way or another.

Unfortunately, at this particular moment I can't deftly weave saviorism with assumptions so just trust me that they are related somehow. Saviors are faced with a dilemma after they have done their savioring. Jesus had to be crucified. In fact most saviors seem to end up getting killed. That's kind of a shame, but I guess that's the best way to make an impact or point, well, as long as you have a sizeable audience. Without that, it's kind of a waste. And once people have been 'saved' they tend to get lazy about expressing their feelings about it. I guess maybe they've just assumed that they've been saved and that there isn't anything left to work out.

Well, I had some really brilliant points that I just can't remember now so I should probably leave it with this.

Have you hugged your Savior today?

And that's today's Sunday Sermonette.

No comments:

Post a Comment