Tuesday, January 2, 2007

About Saddam...

Saber Point: The Intellectual Dishonesty of the American Left

I've avoided writing about Saddam and his execution over the holidays, but today I read the above linked blog article that pretty well summarizes my thoughts and feelings about it.

It's kind of sickening that so many people are torn up over Saddam's hanging. I watched the video of the actual hanging, with the drop (link found at the Reference Frame).

I was most impressed with the grim darkness of the gallows and the apparent lack of ceremony and pomp that a dictator might have expected. The atmosphere was chaotic and I'm sure that only increased Saddam's discomfort and anxiety. One could probably imagine that his execution was rushed and premature, but what's done is done and it was done by the Iraqis according to their own design. Did the US have some hidden hand in it? I don't know and I don't really care. Conspiracy theories are a dime a dozen, and frankly now Saddam isn't worth even a dime.

You know, the same people who keep hollering that we should let Iraq do its own thing are the same ones who criticize their handling of Saddam (and many other things). Well, you can't have it both ways. You can't give people Independence and then demand that they still do everything the way *you* think they should.

I'm not celebrating a death, not even a dictator's death, but I'm not mourning it either. When someone willingly and criminally takes another life he has forfeited his own right to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment