Thursday, April 19, 2007

Name That Box



FeaturelessUnremarkableCommonKind

Trapped In A Box

In the Eyes of God/From the Void/The Eleventh Dimension

Narcissus

Scrying

Spirit House

Birthday Earring

It's a Nice Box

Rottweiler or Psychotic Kitten?

Random Assemblage

Is That Really Me?

Does This Look Vicious?

Sunshine of Your Love

The Joker



This project came about completely by accident when I was decoupaging some of my very favorite paper scraps (left over from the cutest gift wrap I got at Pier 1) to this wooden crate in which Spanish clementines (a type of mandarin orange) are sold. I really love these crates because they are sturdy and good for storing things. Most people probably throw them out with the garbage, but since I'm an old country Redneck I keep stuff like that because I know I'll find a use for them. The picture was just an experiment that I didn't like much, and while reorganizing some things I just kind of tossed the picture into the crate. Then I decided that there was just something compelling about that combination.

Then I ended up kind of mesmerized by it because it seemed to look different every time I looked at it, hence the list above reflecting some of those thoughts and feelings. I've never been happy or comfortable with my appearance, and I always find it puzzling and surprising, as if after 39 years I've never really known my own face. I kind of cringe sometimes when I see pictures of myself, but this project has made me try to look more objectively. Well, I can't honestly say that it has changed anything: I'm still not comfortable or happy with my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment